2. Make sure you get to the airport with plenty of time to check in, go through security, and find your concourse and gate
3. Put this information along with your name in each piece of checked baggage and keep a copy on yourself in case your luggage gets lost.
4. Do not pack anything that you will need (medications, contact lens stuff, etc) in your checked bags. Put this in your carry-on.
5. You are usually allowed to bring 2 suitcases that weigh no more than 50lbs (23kg) each, plus one carry-on per passenger. All airline rules differ on this, so you need to verify this with your specific airline.
6. When packing your carry-on bag, make sure that you have all your documents with you (picture ID, ticket). When packing, make sure that you are not taking any forbidden items with you and that all liquids are in containers less that 3oz (100ml) and in a one clear zip-top bag no bigger than 1 quart (1 liter).
7. Pay attention to the announcements. They may change your departure gate, or need you if there is a question with your ticket.